top of page
  • laurenatchley

Holiday Safety Tips

Now that Thanksgiving is over, it is time to put up all the holiday décor! If you have pets, here are a few tips to keep you and them safe this holiday season!

Always make sure to securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall over on an unsuspecting pet. Dogs and cats like to explore what is new in their environment and can easily catch a collar on a branch and tip the tree. Securing the tree will also prevent the tree water from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea if they digest it. Go for artificial plants or pet safe bouquets when choosing flowers. Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause stomach issues and cardiovascular problems. Cats and kittens love playing with tinsel but if swallowed, it can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. Find other sparkly items to decorate with or make sure to keep tinsel out of reach for feline friends.

Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over on accident. Make sure to keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of pet's reach. A wire can deliver an electrical shock. Ornaments can shatter if knocked off and the shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's mouth and digestive tract.

Poinsettias are also harmful to pets. They can cause irritation to the skin, drooling, and vomiting. Make sure to keep them out of reach of your pets.

The holidays are a time for celebration but don't forget about your pets and their safety when it comes to decorations around the house!

61 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page